Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Why does my motorcycle leak oil when parked but only when the weather is hot?

When I keep my bike inside the garage in a normal temperature in does not leak why?Why does my motorcycle leak oil when parked but only when the weather is hot?
the warmer the oil it is the thinner it gets therefore it leaks, as it cools i thickens, and since the sludge is down near the drain plug it won't leak as much. That is why a engine leaks a little after its been run because the oil is slicker, and there fore can leak easier.Why does my motorcycle leak oil when parked but only when the weather is hot?
I may suggest something else it could be. I had the same issue! I noticed it didn't start leaking until AFTER I had changed the oil at the motorcycle shop.





So I took the bike back to them and told them to tighten the bolt a bit more...sometimes the little rubber ring or seal around the oil bolt gets old and needs to be replaced..well, they tightened it and now it doesn't leak at all. See videos below for your learning and riding pleasure
Steel expands as the temperature rises. You probably have a bad seal somewhere on your bike. When it gets hot and the steel expands, it's opening up that seal.
if it is a harley it is normal nothing against harley's just not my kind of bike also re torque all your crank case bolts to factory specks good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment