Saturday, December 26, 2009

I think I have an oil Leak on my Saturn?

I am a single mom and do most o the car repairs myself I am proud to say I have completed many task and the car is still on the road.lol I am having to put oil In my car about evey other week or so. I am thinking it is a leak. Should I replace the gasket first then see what happens ? Please help don't have the extra money to tak it to a shop. Any ideas would be great.I think I have an oil Leak on my Saturn?
%26lt;%26gt;First thing is to figure out what and where the leak is. Is there oil in the driveway (where you park the car)? If yes, get a large piece of clean cardboard (a stove or refrigerator box from an appliance store) and park your car on it overnight. In the morning look for oil drips and trace them to the source. That will help you determine your next step (pan gasket, head gasket, etc.). Is there a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust? If you run your finger around the inside of the tailpipe do you get a lot of rich, black soot? Then you are probably burning the oil. If so, get a compression test (cheap at a shop!) to see if it's a ring job (you'll have to decide if it's worth it). One last diagnostic you can do- open the radiator and see if there is oil floating on the antifreeze. If so, it's probably the head gasket which can be changed by you, if you are ambitious.I think I have an oil Leak on my Saturn?
%26amp; when you park put some paper under the car motor on the ground any oil leaks will show up look at where the most oil is driping because gravity is on youre side take a good look @ the motor from that point up to the top of the motor it should show up if not if not youre loosing out the back end when youre driving this is a sign of worn rings or boor thats the best i can say
  • lending
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment