Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I have an oil leak in my car?

I have a 1994 Mercury Topaz and when I took it to get the oil changed the techncian said that I had an oil leak and was a quart low. I hadn't noticed it until now, but it leaked on the carport. I have no idea where it is coming from. Does anyone know what it might cost to fix the problem.I have an oil leak in my car?
I would not worry, older cars do this.That is what my mechanic told me. Just need to check the oil once a week. Find the oil stick, pull it out, then place it back in the oil well and pull it back out and read it. It will tell you when it is low. You can even buy STP to stop oil leaks. Find it next to the oil in the stores. You should carry a quart of oil with you in the trunk of the car for emergencies.I have an oil leak in my car?
The oil leak could be from anywhere. Usually they literally wash the engine and try to see where NEW oil spots are forming.





Depending on where it could be as cheap as $50 if you did it yourself.





If they could see the oil leak, it is most likely a gasket (oil pan gasket or valve cover gasket). This is fairly cheap and easy. But this is NOT the FULL extent of the source of the leak.


===


Sometimes it could be as simple as bad oil change that didn't put back the oil filter and/or drain plug.








Good Luck...
Don't try using those ';stop leak'; products. They do not work and actually do more harm than good. Take the vehicle to a reputable shop and have it checked. Typically it will be either the oil pan or the valve cover causing the leak. You need to check your oil level more frequently for the sake of your engine.
if its only going through a quart during every oil change then its cheaper to not fix it. especially a 94 topaz. oil seals back then were made cheaply and were not durable so the engine is gonna leak eventually. next time you change the oil mabee use a thcker oil. it will cost a bit because the mechanic may have to remove the engine to fix the leak.
Lol are you kidding me? Nobody can see your car over the net NOR give you an estimate. Get it to a shop and get an estimate.
If its only losing one quart between oil changes on a 14 year old car, I would not worry about it.Just check it often.
the oil pan bolts might just need tighten or the oil filter is leaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment