Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What's all involved in fixing an oil leak on my 1990 Acura Integra ?

The oil is leaking out of the top left side of the motor near the cam shaft behind a black plastic cover. Has anyone had this happen to them and is it easy to fix ? I'm trying to be specific as I can when describing this. Any help would be much appreciated.What's all involved in fixing an oil leak on my 1990 Acura Integra ?
On any Honda or Acura, I recommend you buy the service manuals from www.helminc.com which will give you the exact breakdown of what you have and tell you, in explicit detail, how to do the job.





I think what you have is a SOHC (Single OverHead Cam) engine that has developed a leak at the camshaft. Depending on how many miles are on the engine, this would be a good time to do a timing belt change as you will have to gain access to the valves under the valve cover anyway. Here's the things I would change simulaneously:





1. Timing Belt


2. Valve cover gasket


3. Spark plug seals


4. camshaft end plug





None of this is especially hard but it will absorb an afternoon changing the timing belt yourself. You will hear recommendations to change the water pump when you do the timing belt along with the belt tensioner but I have never had a failure with those and am willing and able to repeat the process should they ever fail.





I've had a distributor seal (O-ring) fail before too which puts a leak pretty close to where you are describing.





Good luckWhat's all involved in fixing an oil leak on my 1990 Acura Integra ?
I would start by draining all the oil.....then I'd wait a few minutes to see if that helped.
it is leaking thru the cam end plug on the exhaust cam . that cam end plug part number is 12513-P30-000 . and yes they do leak after awhile . when you change the cam end plug , you may just also replace the spark plug tube seals . part number is 12342-PT2-000 .
sounds like a valve cover gasket, they are just a few bucks, but you need glue to put them back on
You must have the DOHC. I had a 90 Integra LS but never had leakage from that area of the engine. Sounds like your head gasket is leaking.
I also own a 1990 Acura Integra that I bought yesterday. I figured out that it also has an oil leak. You remove 7 bolts that hold the valve cover down, take the old gasket off and put on a new one. Then reattach the valve cover.
I'm not a mechanic but i think it will be too hard to say without seeing it first, the spot you say the leak is coming may be serious i would take it to the dealership to have it looked at,

No comments:

Post a Comment